Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Survived the Sawtoth Relay!

The Sawtooth Relay is seriously the craziest thing I've done for a really long, long time.  I am SO glad I did it and even more happy I trained well for it!  We met up at our campsite near Redfish Lake on Friday night and enjoyed some time around the campfire.  After a few beers we decided it would be a good idea to estimate the amount of time it would take for each person to run her two assigned legs of the relay.  Our total estimated time was 10 hours, 46 minutes.  By 10:30 we decided it would be wise to get to bed, since our start time was ridiculously early.  Three hours later we woke, packed up sleeping bags, and headed out to the start line.

Our team, Running Like We Stole Somethin, had the unfortunate start time of 2:45 AM.  No joke.  Our first three runners ran in complete darkness for most of their legs of the 62-mile relay.  I got lucky and started my first 4.43 mile leg right around sunrise, and it was absolutely breathtaking.   About 10 minutes into the run two herons crossed the highway right in front of me and the scenery reminded me of why the Sawtooth Mountain Range is one of my most favorite places in the world. 

Our exchanges went off without a hitch throughout the entire run.  A few of the girls struggled with knee or IT band issues and we worried they might not be able to finish their individual legs.  Thankfully, that wasn't the case and everyone was able to complete each run.  I made sure to drink plenty of water and stretched at every moment possible which, I think, really helped me in the long run.

My second leg at 6.23 miles was a lot more difficult.  My heart rate was decent, but it was tough.  My one conclusion from the day?  Running at 6,000 feet is hard!  I mean, running can be hard anyway, but running at 6,000 feet is really hard! 

Knowing my phone wouldn't calculate the GPS due to lack of reception, I kept my time on my heart rate monitor and calculated it here when I got home.  I was pleasantly surprised by my pace per mile for each leg.  My number one goal was to finish.  My second goal was to be under 11:00/mile average. 

Done and done!

Here are my stats:
4.43 miles - elevation start 6,880, elevation finish 7060 feet
48:47; avg pace 10:47/mile

6.23 miles - elevation start 6,590, elevation finish 6,220 feet
1:07:58; avg pace 10:54/mile

Our total time in the end was 11 hours, 03 minutes, only 17 minutes off our estimated time.  We were all quite pleased. After some food and a beer at the finish line, we drove the entire 3+ hours home that afternoon.  It was a really, really long time to be in the car and I was certainly glad to be home when we got there.  There is no doubt in my mind, however, that if I do this again there's no way I'm driving home that same night.  No. Way.




As exhausted as I was, I promised my friend, Mike, (who was also our required volunteer for the Relay) I would take him to Brewforia before he left town.  Since he was scheduled to depart the next day, it was only right that I suck it up and take him over there.  It was a great end to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment