Saturday, February 16, 2013

Finally, a long run outdoors!

Let the tapering begin!  Actually, it began as soon as my 20 miler was done last weekend, but I still had 5, 8, and 4 mile mid-week runs this week so it didn't exactly feel like I was tapering.  Honestly, today didn't really either, but whatever.

The weather today was slated to be 50 degrees and I was ecstatic!  Finally, a long run outdoors! 
I had 12 on the schedule today so I mapped out a good route and headed on my way a little after 11:00 am with the temp at about 40 degrees. I wore my Athleta capris, my short sleeve Portland half marathon shirt, and my Salomon running jacket. 

Within the first mile I saw this and couldn't help but snap a photo:


Shortly thereafter I knew my jacket would prove to be too hot and just after mile 2 I took it off and tied it around my waist.  With 10 miles left, I knew I wouldn't want the jacket with me the entire way so I decided to change my route and head back home...eventually...and then finish off the last few miles.  Just after mile 3 I realized I had hit a pretty big milestone for the year: 200 miles!  It took me until May last year to hit this mark, so the fact that I got there by mid-February this year was pretty huge.  
Here was my view: 

I got a bit of a reprieve from miles 4 to 5 with the downhill stretch but that quickly ended when I had to run uphill for mile 6ish.  Home happened shortly after mile 8 and I was SO glad to get rid of my jacket that had been swooshing behind me.  I got some water and headed back out on the road.  By then, it was 50 degrees outside!


Part of the path I took was still covered in ice and I witnessed some poor teenager eat $h!+ on her bike coming around a corner.  I don't think she knew I was right there and I didn't see another soul around, yet she triumphantly shouted out "I'm ok!" right before I came into view.  Poor kid!  I rounded a corner from a park setting to a main street with about .75 miles to go and for about 1/4 mile I thought about continuing to 13.1.

But something weird happened: my knee started hurting and I decided that going on to finish 13 would not be a good plan.  I finished off my 12 miles and stretched at home but as the night goes on, my knee continues to ache.  I'm icing now and I'm really not happy about it.  Hopefully my low mileage for this week and next will be good.  I'll cross-train and keep trucking along.  I am hopeful that this is a fluke and that tomorrow everything will be hunky dory.

No comments:

Post a Comment