Monday, July 25, 2011

Rafting, running, and more rafting

I was able to convince to raft the South Fork of the Boise River on Saturday, which is a pretty low-key stretch of whitewater known more for fishing than boating.  It has a few class III rapids but what I like most about it is that it takes a little longer than a typical day run so by the end of the day I'm tired and feel like I'm justified in taking the rest of the day off from physical activity.  Seymour is getting less and less comfortable on the water which is really, really frustrating.  I want so badly for the dog to love rafting as much as we do and I'm afraid that's just not going to happen.  Sigh.

When I posted on Saturday night I was uncertain if I would be able to get up for my five mile run in the morning.  I'm happy to report that I did!  I was out the door before 6:30 and managed just over five for the morning and got back just in time to make a cup of coffee, shower, and take Seymour to Escape the Crate before heading out to meet up with the crew running the Canyon stretch of the South Fork of the Payette.  Sunday was my first official long run for my training which meant I didn't have to keep any particular pace.  I decided to try to keep myself under 11:00/mile which I did until my fifth mile.  I love my Garmin because it keeps me at such a steady pace.  I ran miles 1-4 at a 10:51 pace/mile and my fifth at 11:04.  I'll take it.  Final stats for the morning:

5.13 miles in 55:47
10:53 average pace

It was a spectacular day on the SF Payette after the run!  I'm used to running my own cataraft on the river and rarely sit in a paddle boat for river trips, but this stretch has a mandatory portage and the less boats the better as far as I'm concerned, so I paddled my heart out for the day.  Paddle boating works out such different muscles than I'm used to on my cat and I am SORE today through my neck and shoulders.  I decided to take a rest day today, since I had one scheduled for Sunday but rafted, ran, and rafted some more throughout the weekend.   Tomorrow: 4 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment