Monday, April 2, 2012

12, 5, 4, 10 and vacation!

I really wasn't sure if I'd do a 12 mile run before Robie, but I'm pretty glad I did.  Allow me to back up first...

After my 10 mile run I went to one of my local running stores and bought a ridiculously expensive rain/wind resistant jacket...and of course I haven't run in the rain since then.  My bigger and better purchase that week, however, was a new pair of running shoes!  I was hesitant to get another pair of Brooks Trance due to the seam coming apart on the left foot, so the owner fitted me with Brooks Glycerin with an insert.  The new purchase was well worth every. single. penny.  I went out the next day and ran 12 miles (1/2 uphill) without a single blister, hot spot, or any general uncomfortableness.  Seriously, it was amazing!  The run went well too and I've come to realize it is a great possibility that I could finish Robie in under the time that I ran my first half back in 2010. 

I took Sunday and Monday off from running and started out my vacation with a solid 5 mile run in the morning before heading to the airport to California with the kid for spring break.  We did some walking in San Francisco, but nothing big.  We were on our feet all day in Monterey at the Aquarium on Thursday, but again no running.  I was finally able to get in a 4 mile run on Friday in Fresno while visiting my brother and his family and felt FAST.  Seriously!  My Garmin read 9:40/mile for most of the time I was running and I finished my 4 mile run at an average pace of 10:00/mile after a few walking breaks. 

I had planned on getting in 8 miles on Saturday at my brother's house but decided to lengthen that a bit and went for 10.  Again, I felt FAST and finished my 10 mile run at a faster pace than I've ever run 10 miles. I was quite pleased with my 10:43/mile average pace for the run which included a few walking breaks here and there.  It was another milestone for me in a different regard: I got so damn hot wearing my shirt and ended up running miles 3.5 - 10 in solely a sports bra and running skirt.  My plan for years has been to get in tip top shape to feel comfortable enough to run in just a sports bra, but that all went out the window when the temp increased....

My latest dilemma is whether or not to sign up for the High Speed Pursuit Half Marathon this upcoming Saturday.  It's my last opportunity to get in a long run before Robie and I'm not sure if I want to get one last hill run completed or if running the 1/2 will be sufficient.  I'm sure I'll be OK either way, but it sure would be easier if someone decided for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment