Sunday, March 18, 2012

10 Mountains up a Hill

I was not as much of a slacker this week as I wanted to be.  I went to CrossFit on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and I ran, which is a feat in itself because the weather has been absolute crap.  I think I had plans to run on Tuesday, but it was raining and I was a pansy, so I rested instead.  Thursday was also pretty rainy but at some point in time that afternoon, the sun shone through the clouds for a brief period of time and I got out there to pound pavement for the first time in over a week.  My first mile was fast, of course, because I always start out too fast.  Mile 2 was ok and then during miles 3 and 4 the wind blew and blew and made me miserable.  I walked a bit and called it good at 4 miles.

Saturday was my first race of the season!  I woke up to a torrential downpour and had absolutely no desire to race a 5k.  But, I made arm warmers for my friend, Malia, and myself for the race and there was no way I was going to skip it, plus I needed to run.  I really wanted to get in 4+ miles, preferably on hills, but I settled for a one mile (+) warm up (10:42/mile), raced my 5k (averaged 10:07/mile), and then ran a cool-down mile (10:53/mile) back to my car for a total of 5.25 miles Saturday.  Thankfully, the ran subsided during our actual running time and it ended up being a decent day to be on the greenbelt in Boise.  Did I mention the St. Patrick's Day Basic 5 was a Team BEEF run?!  Hooray for sponsored and reimbursed runs!

Malia standing on her tip toes in attempt to be as tall as me...


The kid and I went to my parents' house that night for a St. Patrick's Day/Birthday celebration for a friend of ours.  I was a very responsible lady last night and had two beers (2!) at the beginning of the gathering and that was it.  I ate responsibly until the Boston cream pie was served and I indulged, which is just fine because I knew I had to run 10 miles today.  Upon our early departure, being completely sober, I informed everyone I had to leave early so I could go run 10 mountains up a hill in the morning.  I informed them it would be my mantra for the run the next day.

I made plans to meet up with Lisa and Mike at 11:00 AM and was ever so glad that I was so responsible last night.  I left the house in a complete snow storm wondering if I should just turn around and go to work for a bit so I could run my 10 miles tomorrow during the nicer weather but I didn't.  Mike was nice enough to run alongside me for a few minutes before the ascent up Shaw Mountain Road.  I started my ascent and, as if it were magic, the snow stopped!  My rain jacket worked out alright for the weather, but I'd like to get a better one for running at some point in time.

Instead of walking at distance markers, I walked at heart rate markers.  During most of the uphill climb ran until my HR got to 170, then walked until it got down to 160.  It seemed to work out alright and I averaged 12:40/mile up to mile 5.

Looking uphill at mile 5...

I turned around at my 5 mile marker and started the descent, which I rocked in comparison to the climb.  I was surprised when I turned into the parking lot and found Mike and his friend still standing around in the parking lot waiting for me.  We talked while I stretched and eventually we all parted ways.  I averaged 11:42/mile for my 10 miler today...I'll take it!

I went to pick up the kid from a friend's house and was greeted with red wine, dry clothes, blankets, a fire in the fire place, and dogs to keep me warm.  She even sent us off with dinner and brownies in hand, knowing I would have absolutely no desire to grocery shop or cook tonight.  Thank God for good friends who wait for you at the bottom of a grueling run and for those who wam up you up at the end of a 10 mountain day!


No comments:

Post a Comment