Sunday, November 28, 2010

Family Vacation

My husband and I went with my parents, my sister, and her fiance to California to visit my brother and his family for Thanksgiving.  It was a torturous 15+ hour drive there but we had a great time hanging out with his girlfriend and her family and especially my super cute nephews. 

We ate.  We drank. We played Jeopardy! on the Wii.   We ate some more.  We drank even more.  I was smart enough to take my running gear with me on the trip and had intended to go for a run on Thanksgiving morning, but I woke up with some crud in my chest and just didn't feel up for a run, so I didn't go.  I drank a crap ton of water (and beer and wine...) and enjoyed the day.  The good news is on Friday I did get up and despite my slight hangover headache, I got my gear together and went for a run.  My plan was to go about 4 to 5 miles and do everything possible to not get lost and I very nearly succeeded.  Thankfully, I didn't have any issues with getting lost.  There was some road construction which made me reroute my run and shaved off about 1/2 mile, so I finished at 3.75 miles for the morning.   I realized, however, that Californians are goofy people when it comes to being chilly outside.  I was absolutely roasting in my t-shirt and capri-length tights - it was 50 degrees outside (perfect weather for a run!) and while I was out I saw two women walking outside in winter coats with gloves and hats and then I saw a road biker with full-length tights, a long-sleeve jersey, and a beanie.  I can't imagine working out in that amount of gear when it was only 50 degrees outside...

Back to my run - I managed pretty well for not running for about 2 weeks.  I felt good and I kept a decent pace (avg 11:00/mile) but also realized whyI need to make sure I work out a minimum of 3 days per week....I didn't feel THAT good.   In the end, I'm glad I got out of the house and enjoyed the cool (but not cold!) weather for about 41 minutes.  I ended Friday by eating everything in sight and drinking beer with the family. 

The drive back started on Saturday and proved pretty crappy, even though we split it into two days.  The drive from Sacramento to Reno was just plain chaotic (and I didn't even get to go to H&M along the way).  People from California are crazy drivers anyway (personal opinion, obviously, but seriously...) but they were super ridiculous during the snow storm over Donner's Pass.  Anyway, we rolled into Reno around 9pm and partied the night away playing blackjack and poker and stayed up until 5am - that's later than I've ever stayed up in Vegas!   I'm not sure I've ever been so glad just be a passenger in a car - I slept almost the entire drive home.  Unfortunately, this also means I'm not sure how well I'll be able to sleep tonight....wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment