Monday, November 28, 2011

Speed work!

I will be very honest when I say I had absolutely no plans to do speed work on the 20th when I set out for my run.  I also had very little desire to run in general.  I also didn't feel up to par on Saturday and a lot of Sunday, but I ran anyway.  Aren't you proud?  Here's what happened:

I ran Friday after work.  I wanted to get up early on Saturday and run, but we had to be to my parents' house on Saturday by 10 to make lefse and I was very, very sleepy on Saturday when I woke up, so I chose to sleep before going to make lefse.  I drank a lot of water before digging in to the mimosas and even then I didn't have too much.  I had a white russian later in the afternoon and continued to drink water in the mean time.  It was probably about 4pm when I figured out that I just didn't feel all that great.  I convinced my dear husband to take me home to watch the Boise State football game that night.  I had a fairly normal temperature but drank some Emergen-C and I called it an early night.

Sunday morning came early and I still didn't feel so hot..so much that I didn't even want to drink any coffee when I woke up.  I had agreed to lead the adult Sunday School group that morning, so Josh and I went to church.  I led Sunday School and we went to eat after that at The Ram.  I ate only because I knew my body needed food.  I love the beer at The Ram and didn't even partake with Josh.  I did have some coffee with Baileys, but nothing more.  We made a few stops before going home and I started feeling a little better.  Josh laid down to nap, and I went to Target to get a few things we've needed for awhile.

I got home from Target and Josh was still sleeping.  I was bored and knew it would be best to get some exercise.  I threw on my gear and headed out the door.  I still didn't feel 100% so I figured it would be a tough run.  I ran a mile in 10:37...not bad.  I picked up the pace for a little bit: .16 miles at 9:30/mile avg.  And since I'm new to this whole "speed work" bit, the rest of my run was kind of screwed up.  I did several 1/10 mile sprints between 8:20/mile and 8:50/mile and walked/jogged in between.  Overall I ended up completing 3.25 miles.  I think I'll try to do more 1/4 mile splits at around a 9:00 pace from this point forward whenever I decide to do speed work so I don't feel quite as spent after the sprinting part of things.  We'll see!


No comments:

Post a Comment