Wednesday, February 13, 2013

9:05 miles (whaaaa?!)

I was really glad to have Sunday as a full rest day after running 20 on Saturday.  My body was absolutely exhausted and even getting out of bed on Monday morning to run was a chore.  Instead of running on the indoor track again I headed straight for the treadmill (even though I hate it) for change.  I had 5 miles on my plate that morning but I knew when I got up that there was no way I'd be running that distance.  I didn't keep track of any mile splits; I just wanted to get some miles done.  I slowly jogged my first mile (just over 11 minutes, I think) and then decided to do some speed work to keep myself from feeling too defeated.  3 miles done on Monday and I was spent.

This morning I had 8 miles to do but I slept a few minutes too late and knew it would be tough to get all of them done before I had to be to work.  I managed to get 5 miles done and took a different approach to my workout.  Rather than using my stopwatch app on my phone for the entire run, I tried to run each mile as fast as I could for miles 1,2, and 4 and stopped the clock while I walked.  I ran the 3rd mile with Lynn (still pretty fast for us) and finally ran an easy last mile. The result? 

9:05
9:26
9:38 (with Lynn)
9:05
9:59

Since when am I able to run a 9:05 mile not just once but TWICE in one day?!  And since when did 9:59 become an easy mile?!

I planned to run 3 miles during my lunch break today but that proved more difficult that I imagined.  A 30 minute meeting turned into an hour and with travel time between appointments and different offices I found myself with about 30 minutes to spare before my next meeting.  After a quick wardrobe change I set out for what I had hoped to be a 1.5 mile run.  Anything is better than nothing, right?  At 1.5 I realized I could run another 5 minutes and still have time to change and get to the afternoon meeting on time, so I did.  2 miles, approx 20 minutes. I'll take it. 

So far this week I haven't met my training plan goals and I don't plan to make them up.  I also don't think it's going to hurt me now.  I'll run my planned 4 miles tomorrow and 12 on Saturday and call it good for the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment