Monday, February 18, 2013

Robie Registration and a windy 4 miler

Last year's Race to Robie Creek, despite being my slowest half marathon ever, ended up being one of my favorite races of the year so as registration drew near, I was anxious to secure a spot again.  The race is limited to just over 2436 participants and sold out last year in just over 9 minutes.  I slept in and put off my 4 mile run until after registration.  When noon hit, I quickly completed my registration form and had absolutely no difficulty getting registered which was a different story from last year.  My buddy, Mike, had a little trouble with the website but ended up with a confirmation for the race as well.  Yippee!

After my registration for Robie was complete, I really had no excuse to get out for my scheduled 4 mile run.  I was a bit nervous about how my knee would react, but geared up anyway.  I felt pretty good for most of the first 2 miles but then again, I had wind at my back.  Once I turned around to head back to the house, the wind hit me head on and I struggled to keep a regular pace.  Thankfully I wasn't out on a long run.  I snapped this photo of the flags near a subdivision to show how much the wind was blowing...but the photo really doesn't do it justice.  Weather.com indicated the wind was blowing 16 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.  Again, so glad I wasn't out for a long run in that today. 


I still finished my run in 41:49 today, so that's nice.  Plus, my knee held up for the duration of the run.  I made sure to stretch like crazy and rolled out my IT band on my foam roller for quite awhile when I got home.  I should have been doing more of that prior to today so hopefully the knee issue was just a quick reminder to stretch after ANY length of run, not just the long ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment