Sunday, February 10, 2013

PRs, long runs, sore muscles - Oh my!

This was a BIG week of running for me.  Not only was it a big mileage week for me at 40 miles (my longest ever and likely the most weekly mileage I'll have for a long, long time), but I also snagged some great PRs.

I started the week with a 5 mile run on the indoor track at the YMCA thinking that I'd be doing 10 on Wednesday and another 5 on Thursday.  When I realized my work schedule wasn't going to allow me to run 10 miles before work any day this week, I decided to take my running gear to work and finish off another 5 miles at lunch.  My legs were a little tired from Saturday's 14 miler so I wasn't particularly fast, but I did get to run outside at lunch for the first time in weeks!  The sidewalks were clear, it was about 32 degrees outside, and did I mention the fact that I got to run outside?!

First 5 miles indoors - 10:21/mile avg
2nd 5 miles outside - 11:19/mile avg

Wednesday morning I got up and pounded out my fastest 5 miles EVER at an average pace of 9:31/mile.  That's a time of 47:44, people!

Thursday morning was sort of sluggish, but I did get to run with Lynn again.  She's been out of commission with a hip issue and hasn't been able to run but Thursday she ran a mile with me on the indoor track. It was nice to have some company!  Average pace?  10:10/mile.

And finally, yesterday's 20 miler.  I've been checking the weather forecast all week and yesterday was supposed to be clear with a high of 35.  I was super excited to run outside for my long run and mapped out a route from our house to Meridian, back to Boise near the mall, then finally back to our house. But when I went upstairs to throw on running gear, I could hear the wind howling outside. I think I paced around the bedroom for a solid 30 minutes checking the weather, listening to the wind, and trying to figure out if I should continue with my plan to run outside or if I should head to the indoor track yet again.  The wind wasn't expected to subside anytime soon and was blowing 20+ mph.  As much as I hated to do it, I made the decision to pack up some gear and run at the Y again.  Sigh.

I was really trying to slow my pace for the long run so I would still have some energy at the end of it is really difficult to control my pace without the ability to use my Garmin indoors.  I started out too fast and I knew it by mile ten (1:41:54), by far my fastest 10 mile run ever.  I finished (approx) 13.1 in 2:13:51 (new PR at 10:13/mile!)  and took a little break to eat 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich and have some Honey Stinger Chews (I had some Jack3d before my run) and set out to finish the final 7 miles.  My first 13 miles were all under 11:00/mile but my last 7 were all over 11:00/mile, my fastest of the 7 being the 20th mile at 11:32.  One thing I've been focusing on is pushing myself the last lap or 2, like I will want to do at the marathon in 3 weeks (holy crap, THREE WEEKS!!!).  I finished 20 in 3:35:28 which is an average pace of 10:45/mile. 

My legs are sore but that's to be expected.  Now the taper begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment