Monday, July 26, 2010

1/2 Marathon Preface + Training Day 1

A few weeks ago my friend, Jamie, posted something on the facebook stating she was thinking about running a 1/2 marathon in Indianapolis in November and wanted to know if anyone else was interested.  I foolishly (we'll see?) mentioned that I might be, and the idea was born.  A few weeks later, I found myself strategically planning out my vacation time and wondering if I could financially make it work.  I continued to tell Jamie I was still working on it.  This past Monday night (7/26/10) I was goofing around on my computer while my dear husband was washing cars and cleaning out the garage and unpacking the camping gear from the weekend, and I found a round trip flight to/from Chicago for $240 (including taxes) that I just couldn't pass up.  I bought it.  I might have freaked out a little in the mean time.  I got excited and scared and might have peed a little knowing that I'd be seeing some friends who I hadn't seen in about 5 years.  I called an old friend (my first friend I met when I moved to Indiana) and told her she better be damn sure she's going to be in town the first weekend in November. 

Anyway, that began my trek on this 1/2 marathon kick.  Not gonna lie, I really wasn't sure at that time that I was going to be able to run 13.1 miles by November, as I wasn't sure I could even run a mile on Monday night.  So I decided to take my dog, Seymour, for a 3-mile walk (he was thrilled!) that night after purchasing my plane ticket.  A little over 1/2 way through the walk I decided to jog a little bit.  I figure I probably ended up running about a mile before I got to my house.  Satisfied with myself, I went inside.  I think I dreamed about Chicago...

1 comment: