Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Crappy, decent, really good.

Well, after that super amazing set last week I had a terrible run last Wednesday.  I set out for a 3 to 4 mile run with the dog after work and after the first mile, I was not doing well.  Seymour and I took a quick turn and went home.  2 mile run at 11:28/mile and I felt way more exhausted during that run than I have on any of my longer runs.  I know I'm being hard on myself on this one and that we all have good days and bad days of working out, but that was crrrrrraaaaaaaappy!  I didn't get back out for another run until Sunday.

Now Sunday wasn't terrible.  In fact, it was downright decent.  Josh was out of town and Brooke had returned from being with her mom, so I got the dog ready to go out and pumped up Brooke's bike tire so she could ride alongside me and Seymour for the first 2 miles.  I had her take the dog home from there and I went out for another 2.25.  Even after all was done, I still only ran at a 10:58 pace.  I say "only" ONLY because I've run 4 miles at a faster pace than that on several occasions, so I was a tad disappointed.  That being said, it was more mileage than the previous run, so that's alright.

Now for today.  Today at work was not fantastic.  It's not like there were a lot of crappy things that happened or anything, I just felt "blah" and had a lot of catching up to do, which is never fun.  I made a decision early on that I would go out to See Jane Run to get new running shoes.  I figured out that I had 200+ running miles logged on my old Saucony shoes plus all of the cross-training miles and I as due for a new pair of shoes.  I did just that during my lunch break.  I was so excited to take the shoes out for a test run after work that I changed my plan from running 4 miles to running 7 miles, which was a really, really good plan!  7 miles tonight took me 1:13:38 which ended up as a 10:30 average pace!  The shoes, Brooks Adrenaline GTS11, were ok.  They were MUCH lighter than my Saucony ProGrid Guide 3s, but I felt the new pair didn't have much cushion on the ball of my foot, even though I didn't feel any discomfort until after mile 5.  I think I'm going to end up taking them back.  I really hope this isn't a continued problem with running shoes, because that would really stink! 

On another note, I've continued going to boot camp and convinced Josh to start going with me. After my long run tonight, I'm contemplating skipping tomorrow but only because I'm so exhausted right now.  We'll see what happens when 5:30 am rolls around...

No comments:

Post a Comment