Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vegas, detox, and getting back into the groove

Holy Vegas.  Seriously.  I drank, I gambled, I watched men give my sister lap dances.  I ate German food, I ate Italian food, I ate Fatburger.  I drank German lager, I drank house wine, I had headaches.  I came home feeling like I had smoked a few packs of cigarettes and was NOT looking forward to working out on Sunday, even though I knew it needed to be done.  The good news is the scale wasn't all that horrible upon my return, and I have no idea why it didn't tip up 10 lbs.  In fact, two days later I was almost back to my pre-Vegas weight, which means my Vegas gain was mostly retained water.

Anyway, back to the work out.  I had planned to run the day after our return, which was probably aiming a little too high.  After sleeping off whatever alcohol was left in my body, I threw on my running gear and drank a little water.  My stomach gurgled and churned.  My lungs wheezed.  My knees ached.  How in the world did I get that huge bruise on my left knee?  Damn strippers.  After much thinking and hemming and hawing, I made the executive decision not to run.  I trotted upstairs and hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes.  I felt pretty good after that....not 100% necessarily, but pretty good.  So I did the "Ab Burner" and "Leg Sculptor" workouts on my Nike Training Club app on my phone.  I felt mighty fine by then, but still not good enough to run.  That was good enough for me for the day.

Monday rolled along and Josh and I went to boot camp at Warrior Fit Body Boot Camp, which kicked both of our asses.  I can't even begin to explain how much Darrin worked us.  I left wondering how in the world I was going to be able to get dressed for work because my arms hurt so much!  Thankfully, the pain only lasted a short period of time and I that "hurt so good" feeling for the rest of the day.  Even though I had work until 7pm that day, I knew I needed to run.  I hadn't done so for over a week and I was nervous.  I hooked up the dawg and off we went for 3.23 miles.  Pace was OK, but not great.  I felt OK, but not great.  When I got home and Josh asked me how it went, my response was "it was OK."  And that's it. 

Average pace 10:38
3.23 miles in 34:19

Josh and I made it to boot camp again yesterday and today, and both days weren't nearly as difficult as Monday, and I thank God for that.

Also, my heart rate monitor is officially shot.  I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 305 as a replacement HRM plus GPS.  It's clunky and huge, but it has the best reviews of any of the Garmin watches.  Unfortunately, I heard that the HRM won't work unless you're actually running, and that's just not going to cut it.  I can probably do without the HRM for other workouts, but I really really really like knowing how many calories I burn during each workout and I don't really want to sacrifice that.  I did find the Polar FT60F G1 which has a GPS unit that attaches to your shoe or wherever on your person, but the reviews indicate the GPS unit doesn't register very well.  I question if it's worth the money....

No comments:

Post a Comment