Sunday, August 14, 2011

Slacker Blogger (part 2 of 2)

I've divided this into 2 posts because I wanted to include pictures in my post about today's long run, but didn't want to make it a ridiculously long post.  You could also call this post something like "pictures of things I've never paid attention to in Boise."

Saturday night, while frequenting my favorite little beer store, I figured out that I have 3 weekends (this one included) before the 1/2 in Pocatello. I have not even come close to following my training plan and I have skipped my last two long runs.  In short, I have been a slacker.  I turned to Josh and our friend, Ryan, and said, "if I'm going to run the 1/2 in Pocatello, I need to 1) register for it and 2) run 7 miles tomorrow, 9 miles next weekend, and run 11 miles the weekend after that."  It was at that moment that I realized I had said it out loud and was now more committed to it because of my loud mouth.

I took Seymour to a potential new home (more later....maybe) this morning and decided to take a run on the Boise Greenbelt instead of running close to home yet again.  I don't know why I don't just make a trek from home to the Greenbelt more often. Seriously, there are so many things and people to see, and most of the path I ran today had shade for most of the afternoon.  The first 3 miles felt pretty great, but it got hot quickly and I was thankful there were several drinking fountains along the path.  Throughout the first half of the run today I kept thinking about how I should have been taking pictures, but I had my phone jockeyed into my shorts and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get it back in there without a whole lot of maneuvering, so I didn't.  I got to Quinn's Pond and saw a whole bunch of people on stand up paddle boards, and it looked SO refreshing.  I nearly jumped ship on my run and went into Idaho River Sports to rent an SUP and had Josh come pick me up to take me back to my car.  I didn't.  I kept on running, but I also vowed to stop and take pictures on my way back to Park Center Bridge. 
Stand Up Paddle (SUP)


And then it got hot.  This is probably one of the most unflattering pictures of me, but maybe it shows how hot and kind of miserable I was (note that I wasn't even attempting to smile):


I passed the main Boise Firestation (I think?) and a monument and some art nearby and then ran through the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial for a brief second and snapped these photos:




 
Anyway, I did 7 miles today with a few stops here and there.  My best decision of the day was when I took off my hat and soaked it in one of the drinking fountains and threw the sucker right back in my head.  The second best decision was upon getting back to the truck, I took one of the ice cubes in my water bottle and threw one down the front of my sports bra and one down the back.  Relief never felt so good!

7.0 miles at 11:09 average pace (1:18:01)

No comments:

Post a Comment