Monday, October 24, 2011

11.2 miles and Ready for the Chicago Monster?

After writing my last post I thought I might actually go out for a 10 mile run with gals I'd never met and if they ran faster than me then I could 1) push myself to run faster or 2) fall back and finish on my own.  When I found out these girls tend to run 9.5 - 10 min/mile, I backed off the plan to run with them and decided to run on my own time.  I also had an invite to run 9-10 miles with my friends Lisa and Mike but quickly backed away from that invite when I remembered they tend to run 9 min/mile.  I thanked them for the invite and let them know I'd slow them down another day.

Fast forward to Saturday morning.  I slept in a little bit, had some coffee and a breakfast burrito, and suited up for an 11 mile run.  It was pretty much perfect running weather when I started out - not cold enough to wear gloves, but crisp enough to warrant capri tights rather than shorts.  My Garmin showed me being over 11:15/mile which wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I didn't want to push myself too much.  I realized several miles in that I turned off the auto-pause and hadn't been hitting the start/stop button at stop lights, which made my average pace much slower than I really was.  I think I actually averaged about 11:00/mile when I was running.  The stop lights were a nice break from the pace and I'm curious how fast I'll actually end up running next Saturday at the Chicago Monster. 

I posted on facebook and twitter that I didn't feel like death until mile 10, which was kind of a lie.  I actually felt pretty good during most of the run.  When I got to about mile 9.5 I realized I only had a mile to go to get to my house and I really wanted to run 11 so I took a little detour near and cut through a neighborhood across the street from mine.  It was during that time that I really didn't feel like going the extra 1/2 mile but my mind was made up and I did it anyway.  I ended at 11.2 miles right in front of my house and pushed it a little faster for the last 1/3 mile or so. 

11.2 miles in 2:08:04
Average pace 11:26/mile

Overall, it was a good, solid run.  I fueled with Clif Shot Bloks at miles 6.5 and 8.5 and in between there I had Nuun in my water bottles (I stopped along the way and bought some so I didn't have to carry my hydration pack.)  I stretched at home, ate almost an entire footlong sandwich, and after taking a shower, I slept for about 2 hours on the couch during the Boise State football game. 

I ended up with an extra workout (so it seems) that night when I went to the Matt Nathanson and Scars 45 show.  The venue took the tables out of the front and we had to stand for the entire show.  My legs and feet were tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired!  It was a fun show though!

I spent a bit of time last night doctoring my Mario costume for next week.  I think it might actually look kind of cute by the time I'm done with it!  I think I'm ready for next weekend.  The weather is supposed to be nice and I'm hoping the lower elevation will help my pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment