Thursday, October 13, 2011

Seymour, my wonder dog.

Seymour is gone.  He got out of the Hannibal Lector cage and was picked up by animal control one Friday afternoon a few weeks ago.  After some discussion, Josh and I decided that we really couldn't care for Seymour any longer and that he couldn't return to our house.  I was heart broken.  I cried and cried and cried when we went to the Idaho Humane Society to relinquish him and fill out paperwork so they could try to find him a new home.  My spontaneous crying about the subject has diminished a little bit, but I still get a little teary-eyed thinking about him at the shelter and not laying around our house.  When will I stop hearing phantom collar and dog tag jingles?  Anyone know? 

Things I do not miss:
  • Seymour destroying all of the carpet in our house
  • The 10x10x6' kennel on our back deck that never kept him in the yard
  • Getting phone calls from random phone numbers stating Seymour is running around in busy intersections
  • Carrying bags of poop 2-3 miles after only running one mile 
  • Seymour taking up all of the space in our king-size bed
  • Giving Seymour anti-anxiety medication every morning and evening that didn't work
  • Not being able to leave the house for more than a few hours at a time 
Things I do miss: 

  • Seymour running incessantly around the house when we first get home
  • Snuggling with Seymour on the couch while we watch TV
  • Snuggling with Seymour on weekend mornings in bed
  • Watching Seymour chase things in his sleep
  • Seymour's flapping lips and snoring while he sleeps
  • Taking Seymour for runs and watching how crazy excited he gets when he sees me put on my running shoes
  • Watching this video of Seymour being terrified of Santa
  • Seymour allowing Brooke to dress him up in her doll clothes without any whining, barking, or showing of discontent of any sort. 
  • Seymour, in general.  His goofy side, his lazy side, his energy, his desire for treats, and everything else that defined him.  
It seems that no amount of running or exercise lately has helped with the funk I've been in since he's been gone, but I'll move on...eventually.  Man, that dog and I were bonded.  He was my dog and is really irreplaceable. He was my running partner and my comfort for lonely days and I am a little lost without him. 







No comments:

Post a Comment