Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Destination Run: Truck Retrieval

The title of this entry probably seems way more exciting than it really was, but it is technically the truth, so I'll let it be.

Josh completed his 2011 goal of rafting every month this year by heading up to the river to go boating  with his friend, Ted, on Saturday.  Later that day, my mom called and invited us to their house for lasagna for dinner.  When Josh returned to Ted's house from boating, he was rather intoxicated, so I offered to go pick him up and take him with me to my parents' for dinner.  Josh went straight to be upon our arrival home and I ended up mapping the route from our house to Ted's.  Before laying down for the night, my plans were made for Sunday: I'd run to Ted's to pick up the truck.  It's just over 9 miles from our house to Ted's.

I didn't get started until 11:30, which was fine because it was still pretty chilly outside (30-ish).  I wore my hydration belt for the first time since my 10-miler in the heat several months ago, which was a smart move.  My shins were tight for the first few miles and I had a difficult time shaking it off and/or ignoring the tightness.  It wasn't painful though, so I plugged along.  Somewhere around mile 4 I stopped at a Walgreens for a pit stop and forgot to turn my Garmin back on for about 1/2 of a mile, so my overall distance and time were off.  I ate some Clif Shot Bloks and remembered how much I love Nuun and was disappointed that I had run out on Tuesday.

I started to weaken around the end of mile 6 and by mile 7 I started to question my decision to make this destination run.  I played my "make it to that landmark and I can walk" game and actually walked this time.  Miles 8 and 9 were slightly easier but I still walked a bit...and all of the sudden, there was the house and the truck!  My Garmin read 8.8 miles but I mapped my route on google maps and it was exactly a 1/2 mile more for a total of 9.3 miles.

My body ached for several hours after I finished but Ted and his wife, Deb, graciously let me into their home for some much needed water (I ran out just as I got to their home) and Ted gave me a much deserved PBR!

Semi-stats for the time my Garmin was actually running today:
8.8 miles at 10:59/mile average pace



No comments:

Post a Comment