Sunday, December 11, 2011

I tried to break out of my comfort zone...

...but my plan was foiled due to See Jane Run's lack of communication.  I had been thinking about joining a running group for quite some time and have talked myself out of it every time for various reasons.  I made up my mind one Friday night though: the next day I was going to go to the See Jane Run Saturday morning run at 8:00 am.  Josh had his poker buddies over to the house and I witheld from joining them for a late night tournament so I'd be nice and rested for the group run in the morning.  I was awake by 7 am to have a decent breakfast and a cup of coffee before I headed out the door to meet up with the group.  I must have checked their website and facebook page a million times on Friday night and Saturday morning  to be sure I had the right time and to be sure it wasn't cancelled.  I made my way to downtown Boise and got my gear on at my car before walking to the store front.  It was 7:55 and there wasn't anyone there.  I walked up and down the street to be less obscure and when there still wasn't anyone there by 8:10, I went back to my car and checked the website and facebook page again.  Still no word of it being cancelled.

I wasn't about to let a lack of communication change the fact that I was going to run that morning, so I locked my car and ran around downtown.  I ended up doing about 3.5 miles at an average pace of 10:07 which felt pretty good.  But the problem with running downtown at that time is that I also had plans to go to See Jane Run that morning to sign up for the See Jane Run Half Marathon at a cheap ol' price of $55 AND I wanted to sign up for their Miles for Meals program that started later that week.  I took advantage of being done running at 8:47 and got some coffee at Thomas Hammer (yum) and sent a message to my friend, Renee, to see if she wanted to join me by walking around at the Farmer's Market.  She strolled down and we enjoyed the sights as well as some yummy croissants from Le Cafe de Paris (double yum!).

Eventually the store opened and I got signed up for both of my events, but not before letting the employees know that I was quite disappointed in the lack of communication regarding their group run cancellation.  I've also managed to find 4 sponsors for the Miles for Meals program where I run and my sponsors donate either canned goods or money to the Women's and Children's Alliance based on the number of miles I run from December 1 to December 15!

As for the See Jane Run Half Marathon, I know I said I wouldn't run it again given the disappointment from the 2011 run, but when I found out the event would only be $55 (compared to the normal $75 or the last minuted $95 entry fee I paid earlier this year), I jumped at the opportunity.  More about this later, I'm sure.  For now, I've got miles to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment