Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1/2 marathon training - 3.75 miles (and effing ELATED!)

I think this is what a runner's high feels like!  I registered for the Monumental 1/2 Marathon last night (missed the stupid $5 discount by something like 30 minutes...argh!) and was semi-motivated to get up this morning and run....and then sleeping just felt so good.  I was able to take a long lunch though, so I hit the gym.  I started out with a quick 2.4 mile bike ride to warm up (on the super-cool interactive bike) and then went to the treadmill.  I decided since I've been running about 37-38 minutes at a time I'd push myself a little further and try out 45 minutes just to see if I could do it.  My friend, Amanda, suggested I change the incline on the treadmill to better simulate running outside, so I started at a 1.0 incline and 5.0 pace (12 minute mile) and eventually changed the incline to .50 and a 4.8 pace (12:30 minute mile), but I don't remember at which mile that happened.  I remember getting to the 25 minute mark and wondering if I could pull it off.  When I got to 44 minutes I picked up the pace from 4.8 to 6.0 for a minute.  I hit 3.75 miles in 45:40.  Admittedly, I'm not the fastest runner, but I felt damn good about hitting that.  I'm guessing I could actually manage 4 miles if I don't put a time frame on the treadmill, but we'll see about that.  For now, I'm super proud of myself! 

HR high 181 (really stayed less than 175 until I pushed myself to the 6.0 pace)
HR avg 169 (true avg - only counted time on the treadmill during the run)
Calories burned: somewhere around 683, but I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment