Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cross-training and much needed rest

I think I mentioned before that I was really bad about cross-training the last time I actually trained for an organized run and I ended up with a lot of knee pain.  This time, I'm determined to get in some mode of exercise on my non-run days.  Since we are avid whitewater enthusiasts, most of our weekends during the summer are spent on the river, and yesterday was no exception.  Josh wanted to run the North Fork of the Payette, a solid class IV & V section of the river, to which I am not privy.  So I made my own schedule and called up our friend, Ben, and convinced him that it would be fun to run the South Fork of the Payette (class III & IV) twice and maybe even run the Main Payette (class II & III) afterward, all while Josh ran the NF with his more experienced buddies.  My first SF run was a little bumpy.  My oars didn't seem to want to stay in place and I got sucker-punched in the neck by one when I entered into Staircase rapid (one of the more difficult rapids on that stretch).  I bounced through the rest of the rapid like a pinball and made it through upright, albeit a little stressed out and with a big ol' red mark on my neck making me look like a domestic violence victim.  My second run was a helluva lot more smooth...perhaps picture-perfect?!  When we got down to the confluence our friends, Roger and Anita, were waiting for us with a boat full of bridesmaids from an earlier bridal shower, so we set off for the Main Payette.  I think I got about 3/4 of the way through and decided I was ready to be off the river.  So I turned my boat backwards and backstroked like I was in a freaking boat race.  My body is mad at me today!  I knew that it would be a long day on the river, but didn't expect to get in as much actual exercise and cardio as I did.  Woot!  I'm so glad I chose today to be a rest day; I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment