Sunday, October 17, 2010

1/2 marathon training - 12.13 miles

Today was my last long run before the half marathon on 11/6. I thought I had perfectly mapped out my 12 miles from church to home, but I got to a specific corner and found I had only gone about 8 miles instead of 10 and realized I hadn't gone the exact route I planned last night.  Serves me right for not looking at the map before we left for church.  I felt really good at that point too and initially thought I only had 3 miles left and was super stoked!  I ended up rerouting myself to run the full 12 and at about mile 10.5 really started feeling the hurt. But I pushed through it, making sure I had only the best of the best tunes playing through my headphones.  Tell you what saved me today were these two songs:

1) Someday soon - KT Tunstall - there are a few lyrics in this song that get me moving -

"Gonna stretch out both my arms, I'm gonna test the temperature...Follow the taste of it, Jump in, Swallow it whole, Jump in..."  I literally find myself stretching my arms and moving faster when this comes on...



2) Soldier - Ingrid Michaelson - "I don't believe in anything but myself, I don't believe in anything but myself..."  For real, is there any better mantra than this?  I'm really not sure.  I love the next part of the song too...the drums kick in..."but then you open up the door, you open up the door and I start to believe in something else."  Sigh.  In love.  Thanks, Jamie, for opening this door for me...I probably wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for you!  :)



I probably could have listened to those two songs today and been just fine...well, maybe.

Anyway, I was stiff and sore when I got home, but I made it...and I made even though I ate a crap load of pizza last night.  I'm less than 3 weeks out from running 13.1 miles in Indianapolis.  It's so close I can taste it!  Seriously, I just can't wait...



Stats:
12.13 miles in 2:28:27
Avg pace - 12:15
HR High - 175
HR Avg - 162

Calories burned - 1862



Time for a bloody mary...

No comments:

Post a Comment