Sunday, March 20, 2011

Can I get a rest day, please?

Because yesterday was i.n.t.e.n.s.e.....and kind of awesome. 

After a whirlwind morning (quick stop to the office, dog park, picking up Brooke from her sleepover, and a stop at the Spring Thaw sale at Cascade Outfitters), Josh and I decided we would head up to Bogus Basin so Brooke and I could get into a lesson and do some night skiing.  ESD: 3:45 pm.  It was about 2:30 pm. 

I knew I needed to run, so I put on my running shoes, leashed the dog, and we headed out the door at 2:40.  As always, the first little bit was rough, but I was amazed at the end result: 3.22 miles at an average pace of 10:33!  I didn't have my heart rate monitor on, so I don't know what my heart rate high and average ended up being, nor the calorie count.  I'm OK with that given my time!  I'm pretty sure that's my fastest pace yet!

When I got home, I did some quick stretching (and probably too quick), showered, and got my skiing gear together.  We were on the road at our expected time.  Brooke and I did two green runs up at Bogus before our lesson at 6:00.  Even though I signed up for the "group special," I was the only adult signed up, so I had my very own private lesson.  It was amazing how much I learned from this teeny tiny senior in high school.  I needed to break some bad skiing habits I've developed over the past 20 years or so....not that I've skiied regularly over the past 20 years, but I really did develop bad habits wearing bad boots and only taking a handful of lessons as a child.  Anyway, Keoni helped me recognize what I was doing wrong and encouraged me to correct them. Turns out skiing isn't quite so hard on your legs if you use your entire body to turn, etc.  Brooke and I both learned some parallel skiing during the lesson and took the lift up to meet Josh eat dinner.  We skiied two more runs before I had to call it quits.  My body was so worn down from my fastest-paced run ever and learning an entirely new way to learn to ski.  Brooke and I went to the lodge while Josh got a few more runs in, and then we took off for home.  I crashed pretty hard once we got home. 

Josh and I are headed up to boat this afternoon, so long as it's not raining when we get up there....

Tomorrow, I rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment