Monday, March 7, 2011

It's time to get running again

On a whim last week, I decided I wanted to form a team for the Sawtooth Relay next June.  I posted on facebook and by the end of the week, our team of 6 was formed.  I'm probably nuts for wanting to do this, but even more crazy for thinking about entering to run the See Jane Run 1/2 Marathon in Boise the next weekend.  I figure my training will likely be like training for a 1/2 anyway with a few more hills, so it shouldn't be too out of the question to run the 1/2 the week after the Relay...right?  Right??? 

On another note, Lent is coming soon.  As in, really soon.  As in, Wednesday soon.  I've given up indulgences in the past for Lent and on other seasons have vowed to begin a healthy or positive regimen rather than giving up the negatives.  I pride myself in being able to stick to my plan.  Some years have been more of a struggle than others.  In 2002, I gave up dessert, which was a killer since I was traveling around the country staying at houses of church members around the Pacific Northwest.  I lost 15 pounds that Lenten season.  This year, I'm taking it further than I've ever taken my Lenten sacrifice.  It's going to be hard.  Some days I'm sure I'll ask myself why in the world I decided this would be a good thing for me.  Other days, I'm sure I'll feel empowered for the decision I've made.  Enough is enough.  I'm giving up alcohol for Lent.  It's the truth.  See, I've written it here, so now I have to stick to it.  I've been cutting back on my alcohol intake anyway by limiting my drinking to only weekends and special occasions, so it's not like I'm going from a few drinks a night to absolutely nothing.  But I AM going from several drinks on Friday and/or Saturday to none.  And to make matters even more difficult, my birthday falls on Good Friday.  Good think it's not a milestone celebration, right?  It's cool, I'll celebrate my birthday on my husband's birthday, the day after Easter. 

As I go through this whole journey, I plan to post my progress with training.  I apologize in advance for the posts in which I whine about not being able to have a glass of wine after a hard day of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment