Saturday, September 4, 2010

1/2 Marathon Training - 5.3 miles

Does shopping count as cross-training?  If so, I did a great job of that last night and this morning...new jeans last night (and some new tennis shoes and socks for Brooke!) and some new running gear this morning (super cheap 1/3s at Sierra Trading Post!).  I'm most excited about my new running tank with a big pocket in the back to hold my iPhone so I don't have to hold it while I run.  I tried it out this afternoon, and it's nice to just throw it in the pocket with the earphones running up the back of the tank.  It also helps focus on a comfortable pace rather than how fast I'm running because I'm not constantly looking at the running app that indicates my pace, time, and distance. 

I probably should have eaten more this morning, but by the time I thought about it, I was ready to head out the door, so I didn't.  It's funny because for the past 2+ years I've been buying breakfast items with minimal calories for weight loss purposes.  Last night I was at the grocery store looking for granola bars, etc. with the most calories so that when I want to run in the morning I actually have some calories in my system and have some extra energy.  I ate a "breakfast cookie" this morning around 9 with my coffee but didn't run until after 1pm.  Oops. 

I'm getting to the point where I think I need to start carrying water with me when I run.  I was parched by mile 3.  The good news about today is that I ran 3/10 mile farther than Wednesday in only about 30 seconds more time. 

5.3 miles in 1:08 (Avg pace - 12:51)
HR Max 178
HR Avg 169

I'm getting a little nervous about mid-September and the lack of training I'll be able to do from 9/16 to 9/22 when we're on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.  I'm super excited about my (likely) final rafting trip of the year, but that's a lot of time to take off from running when I've been working out so regularly.  Hopefully I'll be rowing a lot and will have some time for hiking, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment